There are several ways in which the top-notch school ERP (enterprise resource planning) software would be able to help the schools with library management automation such as it allows the users can browse the book through the availability of catalogue option and identify the books that would have to be issued. It helps in tracking the books in a real-time and enable to perform functions like editing, deleting, and adding names as and when it is necessary. Additionally, it allows adding the books with custom tag facilities and provide an inbuilt filter option. At the same time, it provides a school detailed and normal search facilities.
Is it user-friendly?
One of the greatest features of a school ERP system that has library management capabilities is its user-friendly nature. These products are normally fully integrated ones and available in multi-user packages. This means that a lot of people would be able to use them at once and that too without any problem whatsoever. These systems are fully capable of computerizing all the library related operations of a school. Apart from the fact that they are easy to use these systems are pretty powerful as well.
This means that the school using such a product is in a very advantageous position. They come embedded with a number of multilingual fonts. They have plenty of QR (quick response) and barcode fonts that a school can choose from as well. These products are used by plenty of school libraries around the world, which is clear indication of how good they are. Normally they are developed in consultation with senior professionals who have worked in libraries all their lives. This is the reason they are able to fulfil all the demands of a school library in such a great way.
These products are capable of working with all the latest technological innovations, such as:
- tablet phones
- SMS (short message service)
- UHF (ultra-high frequency) RFID (radio frequency identification)
- payment gateways
Some important features of library management software
The library management software for school’s management normally comes with a number of useful features. Some of them may be enumerated as below:
- The other library software data can be integrated into these systems without any problem at all
- They can mark standard data for import as well as the export of books
- They can fetch data regarding books from the official website of ISBN (international standard book number)
- They are equipped with Google API (application program interface) that helps them save a whole lot of time in such operations
- Schools can upload ebooks on such software and users can read them without any problem whatsoever
- These products adhere to Marc 21 and all the standards being followed in this domain – this includes Library Congress standards and AACR 2 (Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules) as well
- These products are fully secure and schools do not need to spend extra money to maintain them
- The onsite service and training support provided by such software products cannot be matched by the lower end ones
- Their user manual is fully documented
- The recovery and backup systems of these software products are the best
- Schools can export data and reports from these products to a wide variety of formats such as Word, PDF (portable document format), Excel, and text
- There is no question of duplication of work over here
- There are no restrictions or hidden costs whatsoever
- There is no upper limit on the number of journals, documents, and entries that can be fed to these systems
- The reports from these systems can be printed on inkjet as well as laser printers
- The users can define the privileges that they want from the system
- Apart from books, these systems can also store data from other text materials in a library such as journals, magazines, and newspapers to name a few
- They can store all the information related to a book such as the name of the author, the name of the publisher, the year when it was published, and its value to name a few
- They can help with the automated calculation of fines in case of late submission and the like
- They can classify the books on the basis of their subjects
The research that goes into these systems
There is a good reason why such ERP software is able to integrate such tough technology such as RFID in itself. There is a lot of research that goes into creating such fusion – in fact at times it can take up to 3 years to make such things happen. Now, there are several ways in which RFID can help such software. With the help of RFID, schools may be able to identify people and books on a wireless basis. An RFID tag comprises integrated memory and antenna. In libraries, the school can attach these tags to books.
Afterwards, the accession number of the books would be stored in the RFID memory. The RFID reader would read this particular number and send it to the library software.
There are several advantages of using RFID tags and they may be mentioned as below:
- They do not need a line of sight such as in barcode
- They can allow several books to be circulated at the same time
- They can perform anti-theft operations and identification at the same time
- They can scan and identify details of books within a rather short span of time
Keeping track of the books
More than anything else such software allows schools to keep a proper track of the books that they have in a proper and much more efficient way. Normally, schools that do not use such systems are going to use age-old methods such as registers. As many would know, this process takes quite a long amount of time and there is always a chance that there could be a mistake in the entry of details. After all, to err is human. Such a system always creates a whole lot of problems in a library rather than solving them as they are supposed to.
It has also been seen that books have been lost because of such systems. This is why the schools prefer such software. They are easy to use and at the same time, this makes it quite easy to update them as well. The chances of a mistake are thus lesser.
Having all the information in one place
The benefit of using such modern technology is that the school has all the data in one place. This means that whenever the authorities need to check on the latest status of a book they can do so without any problem whatsoever.
Basically, these systems are capable of fulfilling all the requirements that a school may have from an automated system. The librarians and school administrators can thus breathe easy.
Importance of school ERP system
As a school, it is very important to have a proper idea of the materials contained in the library. These are school assets and this is where such library management systems can be of so much help. They can keep a tab on all details related to books and that too without any problem whatsoever. These products help the schools keep all the data in an accurate manner. These systems can and do automate all the functions performed by a librarian.
It is products such as these that help to bring about a sense of transparency and accountability in the functioning of a library. This in turn also helps to make the trust factor stronger between a school management and its students. These products can make a work that is otherwise time-consuming and labour-intensive a lot easier and bearable for one and all. This is the reason why these products are so much in demand all over. In fact, colleges and universities want products such as Fedena as well and this should tell one how good they are.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?