Last month we covered the whats, whys and hows of a database software for an Institution, now let’s try and find out what sort of a database management software will actually boost your institution. Institutions come in many sizes and scales depending on the type of institution they are. From coaching institutes to a big group of institutions, every organization needs the perfect database software.
Factors influencing the choice of Database software
Now, the type of database software adopted by institutions mainly depends on the following factors:
- Whether the data will be accessed and edited by one or multiple people simultaneously.
- The number of people and the volume of data you need to share with others, simultaneously.
- The amount of data to be stored and processed by the database software.
- The complexity of the data e.g. whether data is images, text, sound, videos, or various other formats.
For a large institution where records of thousands of students and teachers need to be managed (or also shared), a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) using the multi-file option is the only viable choice. But before we decide as to which database software is a good fit for educational institutions or your enterprise, let’s ask the most important question every organization/institution forgets to ask before searching for one.
What are my requirements of a Database Software?
The right database software for your institution isn’t going to find it’s way to you by itself and neither is spending needless amounts of money on the wrong database software just to eliminate options. The right way to go about choosing a solution for your database management is to ask the right questions. Here are a few questions every institute should be asking before opting for a database software.
- What kind of data do we want to store and why we do we want to store it?
- How important is the relationship with each data set we are trying to store?
- Is the data being stored dynamic or static?
- What data do we want to be organized and how we are going to access it?
- How much and how do we protect data?
- Who is going to be accessing this data?
Database software is more than a handful in the market, but choosing the right one is a very hard decision to make and often many enterprises end up investing in the wrong database management software. Most times when a CRM or an ERP is the right solution instead of a single file database, enterprises tend to choose the cheaper way out to cut costs which in turn affects their processes and efficiency. Don’t make the same mistakes as they do. Bottom Line, in the 21st century there are ample database software and database management software, start by getting a full understanding of your needs and put together the best system that works for your institution.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?