Maths is often, the one subject that is mostly disliked by students. The reason being that maths is known to be the subject that requires a lot of thinking and reasoning. But, mathematics can be fun too!Today, we have gathered some of those amazing fun facts that would surely make students enjoy mathematics on a lighter note!
Let’s have a look at some amazing facts about maths:
- The word ‘mathematics’ derives from a word ‘mathema’ which in Greek means learning, study, science.
- Have you ever heard of the word ‘Dyscalculia’? You will be surprised to know that the word means any kind of difficulty in learning arithmetic including understanding of numbers as well.
- Four is the only number that has the same number of English letters as the number itself!
- Did you ever know that the easiest possible way to remember the value of Pi is to count the number of letters in each of the word in the line ‘May I have a large container of coffee’.
- In Thai language, the number 5 is pronounced as ‘Ha’ and so, if you need to say 555, its just ‘HaHaHa’!
- Ever wonder what comes after a million, billion and a trillion? Its quadrillion, sextillion, octillion, nonillion, decillion and undecillion.
- The word ‘Mathematics’ is an anagram of ‘me asthmatic’. An anagram is a phrase or a word that is formed by either re-arranging or interchanging the letter of other words or a phrase.
- The number 0 has quite a number of names other than ‘zero’ including ‘naught’, ‘zilch’, ‘nil’, ‘nought’ and ‘zip’.
- The ‘=’ sign was developed by Robert Recorde, a 16th century Welsh mathematician who was bored with writing ‘is equal to’ every time in his equations.
- Abacus is often considered to be the origin of calculator.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?